AI technology demands global governance. 


Helium Summary: Advanced AI technologies pose unique global impacts and thus require global governance structures for efficient risk management[].

Their application across sectors such as healthcare[NCBI], retail[], food and agriculture[], and aircraft maintenance[], has caused discussions about effective regulation.

The increasing concern around AI's ethical implications has led tech pioneer Dr. Geoffrey Hinton to voice potential dangers associated with AI's rapid growth[].

July 20, 2023


AI Governance Advocates

Advocates argue strong international governance systems are a necessity to manage AI's societal impacts and associated risks[]

AI Technology Proponents

Believe in accelerating AI development to maximize opportunities in areas like healthcare and retail, despite inherent risks[NCBI][]

AI Cautionists

Warn of potential dangers linked to AI's rapid advancement, advocating for the slowing down of AI development and implementation processes[].


What models are being considered for global AI governance?

Drawn from models like those of ICAO in civil aviation, CERN in particle physics, and IAEA in nuclear technology[].

Has any field seen specific improvements due to AI applications?

Yes, fields like healthcare, food & agriculture, and aircraft maintenance have seen improvements due to AI applications[NCBI][][].

How significant is the need for controlling AI technology?

The need is very significant; nearly 90% of respondents in a poll agreed that technological innovation should go hand-in-hand with effective regulation[CGTN].

News Media Bias (?)

The sources are fairly balanced, presenting views that call for international governance of AI[], display advantages of AI technologies[NCBI][][][], and express concerns over AI's rapid growth[].


The discussions come at a time when AI is rapidly being incorporated across sectors globally and public sentiment calls for increased regulation to manage AI's societal impacts and risks.


As AI technology becomes ubiquitous, a balance between driving innovation and enforcing robust governance is crucial to ensure equitable outcomes and mitigate risks.

Potential Outcomes

1.) Development of international institutions for AI governance (70% probability) 2.) Increased regulations, echoing public sentiment (60% probability) 3.) Slowing down of AI advancement in light of concerns raised (40% probability)

Similar Stories

Deepen Your Understanding of The World      

Read Deeper on: AI technology demands global governance.


Increase your understanding with more perspectives. No ads. No censorship.